Thursday, December 19, 2013

More Love Letters: 12 Days of Love Letter Writing






For the 3rd year in a row, I am participating in the More Love Letters 12 Days of Love Letter Writing campaign.  In case you aren't familiar with this organization, it receives letters requests from people from all walks of life who are struggling a bit and could use a little extra love in the form of a letter.  Then volunteers, such as myself, craft a letter to provide support, encouragement, and a tangible sign that there are people out there - even complete strangers - who care. 

This year, I wrote a letter to Lois.  Here is the love letter request from Lois' daughter:

This request comes to us from Lois’ loving daughter. She writes: “My mom, age 88, and dad, 92, have been married for over 67 years. Mom has been the sole caregiver for my dad since he suffered a debilitating stroke 14 years ago. She has been totally devoted to caring for him. Three weeks ago she had to have knee replacement surgery and for the first time in 67 years they are separated until she recovers. They are both having such a hard time being apart. She is in a rehabilitation center and working so hard at her physical therapy so that she'll be able to come home and care for him once again. Unfortunately, due to her age her recovery is not going as well as she'd hoped. She could really use some love letters and encouragement.” Let’s put pen to paper and lift Lois’ spirits today!


I wrote my letter near the glow of one of my favorite candles.

 If you are interested in participating, you can send your letter here.  The deadline is tomorrow!


Lois' Bundle
c/o Darla A.
2445 Kips Korner Rd.
Norco, Ca. 92860

Have you participated in a love letter campaign before?  Have you ever been on the receiving end of an unexpected letter that provided encouragement and support?  I certainly have in the last year and those letters and notes really brightened my day.

9 comments:

Marlys said...

That is a grand idea!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

What a beautiful love story. If I even live to be 88, I want to be healthy enough to care for my 92 year old husband, too! (OK, admittedly, Sweets would only be 86 at that time, but that's not my point - ha!). I really like the idea of love letters and have participated in the past. This year, I just can't seem to get caught up with my own life, so I'm unable to take on any additional commitments.

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy said...

I just wrote her a letter!

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

I love this story! So often we hear about people who have been married for a long time not really liking each other and/or wanting MORE time apart and it's really discouraging when you are in the early years of marriage because while I can't ever imagine that happening- I also just feel like it's almost inevitable. It's so nice to hear about a couple where being separated is still so hard :) Of course, I'd rather they be reunited quickly! So hopefully all these love letters will help!

Cherry Blossoms said...

what a sweet thing you are doing! Remind me of this next year as I would love to participate!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

That is so sweet!!

Jeanie said...

I never have done this and I would love to. This year I know a lot of people who could have used this including someone very close to me. I'm a little late to send a letter to Lois -- behind the ball on blog reading -- but will you please post about this next November so I could get someone to write o as well?

Abby said...

I love this idea!!! Sometimes the wise words from someone who doesn't know you are the best - bc it's just a pure insight that involves nothing personal.

This scenario is a huge part of my job - and the heartbreaks and challenges of growing old and being provided for. My heart is heavy for Lois and her parents.

Amber said...

Aww what a beautiful love story! That is so sweet. I hope they are reunited quickly and that all the letters that will come pouring in pick up their spirits!