Monday, July 31, 2017

July Reads

Instead of my usual monthly recap, I'm going to do an abbreviated recap and just focus on the books I read in July!





July was a pretty good reading month for me! I read 5 books, but one of them was over 700 pages so it felt like I read 6+ books! My favorite read was Eligible!  Here's what I read along with my thoughts about each book:

The Leavers by Lisa Ko - 2 stars - I had high hopes for this book as it was raved about on a couple of book podcasts I listen to. But it fell flat for me. The pace of the book was slow and I struggled to relate to or feel compassion for the characters as they were sort of unlikable.

Eligible by Curtis Sittenfeld - 5 stars - I loved this book! It's a modern-day re-telling of Pride and Prejudice. It was a delightful read and is the perfect summer read in my opinion!

A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara - 4 stars - I had heard how emotionally devastating this book is so had avoided reading it for the last couple of years but I decided to read it in July. It is not for the faint of heart. The writing is amazing and you really get to know the characters in the book. It is very much a character-driven story instead of being plot driven. I can't say I 'enjoyed it' because it is such a sad story, and I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to anyone because it's just so heartbreaking. The kind of heartbreaking where you wonder how the author came up with the atrocities she wrote about. But I am glad I read it.

The Dry by Jane Harper - 3 stars - This is my pick for my book club for the month of August. It's been raved about on Modern Mrs Darcy's blog. It was a fast-paced, engaging murder mystery but it probably won't make for the best book club discussion, aside from talking about whether anyone guessed who the murderer was. But we've read some heavier books lately so I thought it would be a good change of pass. Although, I do want to give a trigger warner as violence against a child is part of the plotline.

I See You by Clare Mackintosh - 4 stars - I loved this author's first book so was excited to check this out. It didn't quite live up to her first novel, which was a tough act to follow, but I still enjoyed it and read it in a matter of days.

What have you been reading lately?

7 comments:

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

I have actually only read one of the books on your list! I have Eligible on hold but it's going to be a long wait... I did not really enjoy A Little Life. Maybe I was not in the right head space for it, but I didn't really love the characters! Aside from that, it WAS depressing, but that is not normally a deal breaker for me.

I really liked I Let You Go, so will put the other book on my list! I just finished Everything You Want Me To Be, which is along the same lines (a Gone Girl wannabe basically) and was entertaining. Plus I believe the author has another book as well, so if you enjoy it, you would have a second option! I just started Dreamland Burning, so will be ready for our next book club discussion. I won't tell you about it now though...

Jeanie said...

Just finished another Louise Penny and am now reading a not-great bio of Prince Harry I found at the Dollar Store, which is about what it's worth. But that makes it a fast read! I'll have to make sure I get in I See You soon.

Gracie said...

I'm reading The Leavers right now and I agree - I think the reader is supposed to sympathize with mom, but she's just not likable.

Stephany said...

Oh, that's a bummer about The Leavers. I have heard rave reviews, too! I have Eligible on my bookshelf. Maybe one day I'll get around to it! And I have just accepted the fact that I'll never read A Little Life. I think I'm too sensitive for books like that!

I'm nearly finished with Evicted! It's been such an interesting and eye-opening read.

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

Eligible sounds good!

I am reading Confessions of a Sociopath - it's really good so far :-)

San said...

Thank you for sharing your reviews! I have come to look forward to all the book reviews at the end of each month!! :)
I will definitely put Eligible on my to-read list!

Amber said...

I'm impressed you managed to read 4 other books the same month you read A Little Life, which is definitely like reading 2 books!! Also so glad you loved Eligible. I LOVED that book and it was one of my favourite reads of 2016.